Saturday, August 27, 2011

hair accessories

This was so simple that it hardly counts as a project, but it solves a problem in my house, so I thought I'd share. Hazel has tons of hair hairbands, clippies, bows, headbands, etc. They had been living in a drawer in the kids' bathroom, but it was really really full and difficult to dig through to find what you were looking for. I wanted to keep her hair stuff in her bedroom. She used to have one of those bow holders with the ribbons to clip the bows to, but it didn't work well with her hair accessory collection, since she has more rubber bands and headbands than she does bows with clips. This was my solution:

I took an empty container (that used to hold dishwasher detergent tabs) and mod podged some scrapbook paper to the outside. I added some felt stars for interest. I think putting her in red, right under the lip of the container to the left of the star would be cute, too. I dumped in her hair accessory collection and it can live on top of her dresser in her room. The yellow and red coordinate well in there, and the pattern is not too girly for a room she shares with her brother. Win-win!

Headbands and necklaces were intended to live on the exterior of the container, but it's pretty wide, and I'm afraid headbands might get too stretched out on there. I'll probably just throw them inside, too. There's plenty of room.

Thanks for looking!

Sunday, August 07, 2011

wedding shadowbox

I have been meaning to do this forever, and finally got around to it. I put my wedding momentos (invitation, program, favor, candy, and a few photos) in a shadow box. It's hard to take a picture of a shadow box, so I gave you both the with flash and without versions.

I really, really, really wanted to make the entire background of the shadowbox a single layer of jelly beans and then to mount my photos, etc on top of that. But I couldnt' figure out how to make that work. This was my compromise, and I think it'll be ok. Glue is still drying, so it's not on the wall yet, but it's headed to the master bedroom in the next few days.
Posted by Picasa

Thursday, August 04, 2011

dolly carseat

I bought Hazel a dolly car seat at a kids' consignment shop in Sugar Land and promised myself that I would recover it on the other side of the move. The cover it had was old, stained, and sad. The little car seat came up in toy rotation this week, so I got to work making it cute again.

This was a quick and easy project. I took my seam ripper to the old cover so that I could use the pieces as a pattern. I used fusible fleece on the back of the cotton print for some padding. Otherwise, it was just sew parts together, run elastic where the original had elastic, finish with bias tape, and add a harness. Super simple. I tried to figure out how to make it a 5pt harness, but failed. Nan (my Cabbage Patch Kid from childhood) would certainly be safer in a 5 pt harness, but given that she can't suffer internal injuries, I'll try not to worry.

I can't wait to show Hazel when she wakes up in the morning!

One more note: I only endorse recovering dolly car seats. It makes me cringe when people make new covers for their own infant's seats. Not safe, people, not safe! Please only use covers and accessories made for your child's car seat by the manufacturer. Anything else could change the seat's performance in the event of an accident.