Thursday, August 04, 2011

dolly carseat

I bought Hazel a dolly car seat at a kids' consignment shop in Sugar Land and promised myself that I would recover it on the other side of the move. The cover it had was old, stained, and sad. The little car seat came up in toy rotation this week, so I got to work making it cute again.


This was a quick and easy project. I took my seam ripper to the old cover so that I could use the pieces as a pattern. I used fusible fleece on the back of the cotton print for some padding. Otherwise, it was just sew parts together, run elastic where the original had elastic, finish with bias tape, and add a harness. Super simple. I tried to figure out how to make it a 5pt harness, but failed. Nan (my Cabbage Patch Kid from childhood) would certainly be safer in a 5 pt harness, but given that she can't suffer internal injuries, I'll try not to worry.

I can't wait to show Hazel when she wakes up in the morning!

One more note: I only endorse recovering dolly car seats. It makes me cringe when people make new covers for their own infant's seats. Not safe, people, not safe! Please only use covers and accessories made for your child's car seat by the manufacturer. Anything else could change the seat's performance in the event of an accident.

1 comment:

snapladylisa said...

Supercute!