Saturday, January 21, 2012

a UFO complete!

Summer 2010, when my kids were two and three, we made adorable handprint American flag tank tops to wear.  I didn't want to get rid of them when that summer was over, so I tossed them in my to-sew stack with the intent to make something out of them.  Tonight, in my on-going project to turn the guest room into a den/school room, I was cleaning out my sewing cabinet and came across them.  I decided it was as good a time as any, and whipped out a throw pillow.  It'll live on my long bench in the entry way during 4th of July time.  It's going to be SO cute!!



















I cut out the flags, ironed some stabilizer on the backs of them, and then stitched them onto some red twill I had in my stash.  I made it into a pillow shape, and now it just awaits me buying another bag of polyfill to stuff it and finish it up.  Maybe I'll remember to do that between now and July.

1 comment:

courtney said...

love it! i still have mine too! (macy actually wore leila's old one this year - lol). great idea. i was wondering what to do with those cute patriotic handprints.

what our family has done, instead of stuffing pillows, we make pillow cases - for decorative pillows. like the 16x16 sizes and the smaller rectangular one. you can buy the pillows that fill them at HL or wherever. i just hang up all my decorative seasonal/holiday pillow cases in a closet on wooden skirt hangers and it takes up so much less storage space! (and i actually remember to put them out!) lol!
thanks for sharing! i think i might have a new decorative pillow case for independence day this year! ;)