Thursday, June 21, 2012

salt box

I wanted salt boxes for my kiddos to practice letters in, and googled for some ideas.  Most people just use a cookie sheet or tray, but I wanted lids so that I didn't have to dump the salt in and out regularly.  Other ideas included this plastic shoe box (too deep, I thought), this little wooden box from Joann (my Joann only had one, or I would have bought them), and this DIY version with a photo storage box (does anyone know where they sell those? Again, foiled in my attempts).  

Container Store to the rescue! I had a few minutes to run into Container Store when were in Austin a few weeks ago, and I had this project in mind.  They had *exactly* what I needed.  The Premium White Gift Box, size small.  Dimensions are 11 1/4" x 8 1/2" (about the size of a sheet of paper) and only 1 5/8" deep.  With a lid.  And nice and thick and sturdy feeling.  I bought three, cut down a piece of black construction paper to lay inside each of them for contrast, dumped in a cup or so of salt, and ta-da! Salt boxes!


No comments: