Thursday, February 22, 2007

handspun yarn!

For the past 6 weeks, I've been taking a spinning class at the Fort Bend Museum. We started on drop spindle, then progressed to the great wheel, then to the treadle wheels. We could only spin on the wheels in class, but I got to bring a drop spindle home to practice. It was so much fun! I was so sad to give it back yesterday, and am looking into getting my own. They're fairly inexpensive, so I think I can swing it. Wheels, on the other hand, are not! Maybe some day...

I'm very much a beginner, but here's my first handspun yarn, spun on a drop spindle, dyed pink with Kool-Aid. Our class has a luncheon next Wednesday for our final gathering, and I'm going to try to crochet something with my yarn to take to show. I'm not sure what, yet, since I haven't counted to see how many yards I have. It will certainly be something small! And don't worry--I'll update this post with a completed picture.

Update: I had approximately 30 yards of yarn on my spindle when I unwound it. It was enough to crochet two flowers (plus a smidgen left over). I decided to felt one of them, which was only marginally successful--mostly the hot water just faded my Kool-Aid dye job! I have no clue what I'm going to do with these little flowers, but it's so satisfying to know that I spun the yarn myself and actually made something. Very satisfying indeed.


2 comments:

sarahspins said...

Nice work! There's nothing wrong with being a spindler - plenty of spinners don't have wheels :)

Watch out though, it's highly addictive! LOL!

Coffman Family said...

The entire class talks about how great you are at spinning! You have become a bit of an icon around here!