Thursday, July 05, 2007

What can you make with $3 worth of fabric?

a water-worthy mei tai! I bought 3 yards of 60" wide quick-dry athletic type fabric from Wal-Mart for $1 a yard, and am getting TWO water mei tais out of it! It's not UV protective like those cool solarwearve or solarveil MTs and slings, but hey--it'll do for $3. And the fabric was not difficult to work with like I thought it would be. It actually has inspired me to buy some solarweave to do a "real" one for next year!

Here's one of them (the other is cut, but not yet sewn)...



and if you promise not to make fun of me for trying on my slings/carriers with my doll, here's an "action" shot. tee hee! I finished it last as my husband was tapping his foot impatiently waiting to go to a cook-out at a friend's house for the 4th. So this pic was taken this morning, still in pjs, a ponytail, and glasses (hence the close cropping!)...



I'm keeping one, and giving the other to Katy, since she has a pool loving toddler and a new baby on the way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so interested in one of those Mei Tai things. How do you make one? It looks super simple.

Jen said...

I had no idea you were so crafty.
you're making some mighty cute things! I'm glad I found your blog. I'm trying to get our baby room done for chica#3. Did one set of curtains today and will do the next set and the bumper and pillows over the weekend (i hope).

that MT is super cute! Oh how I needed something like that when Riley was little. Mind walking me through making one?